Search This Blog

Thursday 19 September 2013

Morretes, Antonina & Paranaguá

When in Curitiba I heard about an island called Ilha do Mel (Honey Moon island) quite worthy to pay a visit. So, as a good stroller I decided to check it out. There were 2 ways to reach the island. First heading to Paranaguá then take a boat. But, to reach Paranaguá besides go through the normal way (road) also was possible to go by train.  By train was 110km passing through the biggest rainforest reserve (Mata Atlântica) in Brazil on a 125 years old rail in 3.5 hours trip to reach Morretes (old historical town) to afterwards go for more almost 1 hour through normal way (road) to reach Paranaguá. The best part was, I could jump off the train before arriving Morretes to trek for more couple of hours to reach Morretes.

I still had plenty time, no rush. Of course I picked up the alternative adventurous way. I Went to the bus/train Station in Curitiba and bought my train ticket for the following day early in the morning.

Curitiba train station - Departure: Curitiba x Arrival: Morretes
 Guess what? The following day was gray and cloudy. Then I realised I was trapped. Anyway, I took the train pointing to adventure. Tic-tac… tic-tac… tic-tac… chooooooo chooooooo! ‘Smoke going up the sky’. Amazing feeling I got.

Tic-tac… tic-tac… tic-tac… 
 ‘Smoke going up the sky’. Amazing feeling I got.

choooooooo chooooooo...
 …
Oh no! It’s getting foggy. And I couldn’t see much of the biggest rainforest reserve. Such a shame!

Bridge on rainforest in a foggy day

Once it was foggy and I didn’t see much that I supposed to see, I felt trapped. I paid thrice to go by train and it took twice the time made by bus. Nevertheless, I couldn’t jump off the train to trek, because the rain, fog and low visibility. Too risk getting into the jungle alone in these conditions. Anyway, I arrived in Morretes.

Morretes is very old small town. Now a days, very famous because its restaurants which serve typical regional dish called Barreado (meat dish). The city has many old preserved mansions, a church, a square, a river crossing the city and the restaurants. Very small city, but relaxing and beautiful though.

The river crossing Morretes city with restaurants on the right side

One of the bridges which connect the city

Square

Restaurant

Other bridge which connect the city
 From there I decided to head north to another small city called Antonina on the coast, 30 minutes away by local bus.

Antonina is one of the oldest population in Paraná state, today a city, quite small though. Around 20.000 people. The city has a main “avenue”, old buildings, restaurants, fishmongers and a dock on the bay which leads the atlantic ocean.

Spy crows

Dock of Antonina

Antonina bay

Even it was cloudy and I started to rain, it was very warm

Antonina seen from the dock

Fisherman

Myself strolling Antonina city

Old building - Atlante Inn

Restaurants and bars

The main "avenue" of the city
 Even it was relaxing I didn’t stay. It started to rain when I was there, so I left to Paranaguá.
I arrived in Paranaguá at night and there was no boat leaving to Ilha do Mel. The next boat was leaving the following morning at 9.30. I had to sleep over.

Paranaguá seen at night
 I tried to find a place to set my tent and sleep, but I didn’t find any good spot. I went to the hostel in front of the deck where the boats depart.

 After a though day I deserved, or at least, I felt I deserve some luxury. Hot shower, comfortable bed and some pleasures of life as red wine and chocolate. Then I had a shower (it wasn’t hot and the register was giving shock to whoever tried to close it) and went to the market for groceries (Bread, cheese, chocolate, red wine, fruits (loads of them), biscuits, pasta, sauces and big gallon of water. I bought all these supplies to take with me to the island. I was going to spend 2 days & 1 night).

I had nice homemade food cooked by me and went to bed hoping to wake up with a bright shining day. I didn’t sleep well, at all. The mattress had a canyon on it. Wherever I lied I turned to the middle. Fucking hell.

At least it was a wonderful shining day when I got up.

Bright shining day in Paranaguá
 - A ticket to Ilha do Mel, please.
- Return?
- No, just one way. Thank you. (It costs 16 reais)

Boat departing to Ilha do Mel
 You know what, I’m going to steal this boat and become a pirate…


Fake pirate
 “Shit! It didn’t work well. It’s better find a good place and appreciate the landscape.”

- Everybody on board? Start it up!

Fish boats

Paranaguá seen from the boat departing to Ilha do Mel
 Ilha do Mel, here I go!

Yes, I found an excellent spot on the boat
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment